I just realized, after looking at the Hood to Coast map, that my legs are considered the second hardest legs of the entire course. Awesome!! What that means then is that I'm going to have to be smart and use all the resources I have to get through it. One of those, for me, is a playlist and I need three of them.
Now, yes, I'll run alot before the race but I need back up. When I think of putting together a playlist, I can't seem to take my project manager hat off. I ask myself:
- What do I want the playlist to accomplish?
- Do I want it to make me run faster, pace myself, get into a zone or just push it for the last 10-20 min?
Each leg of this race has a slightly different objective and I know, I'm not supposed to listen to music on the last leg but if for some unknown reason I find a way, I will, at least for part of it.
I want the music to sort of follow a normal distribution curve (can you tell I'm in grad school right now?) consisting of three parts:
- Start off somewhat mellow and calming (keep me from blasting out of the gate),
- Build to a highpoint (which could be off set based on the leg to help push through some big hills)
- Then gradually decline to something somewhat inspirational (to help me see the light).
So with that in mind, each playlist needs to be about:
- Leg 1: 6.96 Miles - 75 Minutes of music - just to be safe
- Leg 2: 5 Miles- 55 Minutes to be safe
- Leg 3: 7.72 Miles - 80 Minutes of Music
This is where I need your help..I need music ideas. I'm definitely going to head over to Pavement Runner and browse his inventory and KatieRunThis has a good listing but I need help with song selection and placement.
Here's some of the songs I'd like to have in the playlists:
- Smoke - Ben Folds (Symphony Version)
- Burn For You - TobyMac
- Blurry - Puddle of Mudd
- Sell Out - Reel Big Fish
- Back to you - John Mayer
- Time - Ben Folds
- American Boy - Estelle/Kanye West
- Boogie No More - Kraak & Smaack
- Can I Get A - Jay-Z
- Anxiety - Black Eyed Peas
- Not the Same - Ben Folds
- Under Pressure - David BoweAll Because of You - NeYo
- Bleed Out - Lincoln Park
- Angel - FlipsydeOne Sweet Love - Sarah Barellas
- Closing Time - Semisonic
This is where I need your help. I'd love to mix in some 80's and 90's as well as current stuff. Help me out! What are your suggestions? How do you put together playlists?