Sunday, September 30, 2012
The Rut - What Is It and How To Defeat It
With that said, we all know what it's like to be in a rut. You know what I'm talking about..that period of time when your brain, body and soul are talking different languages which leaves you in the middle just trying to get motivated enough to do something, ANYTHING to get active. Sometimes it happens after you've just completed a major goal and sometimes it just happens.
Coming out of a Rut can be difficult. It can take a day or it can take weeks or even months. There are so many ways you can try to force yourself out of it. Here are some of the ways I always try:
1. Active Rest - Do anything BUT run for a few days or even a week (sounds scary I know). Bex talked about putting herself on a Gym Diet. Same basic thing. What happens when you deprive yourself of something? You want it worse right?!
2. Mix up your runs - Distances, speeds, the people you run with, or the location. Anything to "spice' things up can help. It's the old married couple syndrome. "It's just not exciting anymore". Well, make it exciting!
3. Set a new goal - If you're coming off a major goal, give yourself a week, and then set a secondary goal. Maybe it's to get a little faster or to run in a fun run (warrior dash, pretty muddy, etc). Whatever it is, sometimes it can feel like you've just jumped off the high dive into the deep end and have no where to go. Setting that secondary goal is like having someone on the side of the pool, directing you over.
4. Reflect - sometimes you just have to figure out what's causing it. At work we call it "Root Cause Analysis". A big term which basically just means, try to figure out why. Maybe there has been a life event that has you down or work is really stressful or something. Figuring out what that is and working to resolve it could mean a clear conscious. Maybe try some meditation.
5. New Stuff - Ok, I know, sounds superficial and it could probably be classified under #2 but for me, it is sometimes a way to get amped about running again. A new pair of shoes, shirt, shorts, gadget..whatever it is, just being able to try something new out might be just the thing you need.
So those are my recommendations for breaking out. So my questions for you are...Do you ever find yourself in a rut? Am I the only one? :) How do you breakout?
OH...and make sure you head over to the Endorphin Warrior Giveaway post to see if you're a winner!