- I pace around the kitchen, seeing what groceries I do have.
- Then I sit at the kitchen table with a blank pad of paper waiting for the meal gods to smile down on me with ideas for dinner.
- I pull out all my stand by cookbooks, open blog posts and pinterest and look for new ideas that both my boys will eat.
In fact, I used to be a technology consultant and I'd travel every week. Back then, I despised Sunday nights because I had to pack for the week, check in and just make sure I was ready for the week ahead. I would say my work week really started on Sunday evenings.
So last weekend I had sometime in the car so I put some real thought into it and thought...what if I could plan for the month?! How nice would that be? Then I wouldn't have to go through the anguish of planning weekly. Best part about my little idea..I had this time in the car with my husband so I made him get in on the fun. (Which, as you can imagine, he thoroughly enjoyed. Do you hear the sarcasm?)
So I spent a little while trying to develop an excel meal planning template (because that's what a program manager does) that I could use to capture all the meal planning genius. Now, it's not perfect but I do know what I'm making this week and I have a pretty good idea what I'm making next week.
This week's dinner menu is:
- Pepper Steak
- Turkey Meatballs and Mozzarella
- Sloppy Joe
- Greek Chicken/Cucumber Sauce
- Left Overs
Here's the meal planning template I used. I have all these ideas about how to make it better but I thought I'd share with you in case you want to use something like this. I haven't prettied it up or anything but if you want to download it you definitely can.
How do you plan your families food?
Also, make sure you head over to For Two Fitness giveaway page to see if you won the giveaway! If you didn't there's more fun to come!